Systems Administrator (Night / Weekend)
designDATA is not quite like other firms. We’re agile. High tech. Consultative. Yet we’re not a startup: we a thirty year old tech consulting and network engineering company. designDATA is a company of 70 professionals and we are growing quickly. We think we’re the perfect size – large enough to offer all the benefits and stability of an established firm, small enough to have lunch with the CEO in the break room. Sound good so far?
designDATA is expanding our systems administration team and has several immediate openings for second and third shift systems administrators. The system administrator position as designDATA is critical to our success. These individuals provide proactive care to our client’s networks ensuring uptime, performance, and scale. This position has a range of duties and requires a broad reach in skills:
Duties of a Systems Administrator
- Perform a variety of systems administration tasks that are broad in nature and are concerned with design, implementation and integration of hardware, software and/or equipment.
- Install, configure, and maintain new hardware, systems, devices and software for customer networks.
- Provide proactive maintenance of systems.
- Level 2 – Service desk phone support.
- Manages system back-up and recovery solutions.
- Perform troubleshooting analysis of servers, workstations and associated systems.
- Monitors system performance and implements performance tuning as needed.
- Participates in developing and maintaining technical documentation associated with customer systems. Follow department procedures for successful incident management.
- Proactively monitor overall health of network and server infrastructure, which includes, but is not limited to, backups, patching, threat management software, and overall health of server systems and network devices.
- Look for opportunities to increase customer network efficiency and feature set. Propose upgrade projects and configuration changes.
- Assist service desk employees with issues escalated to the SysAdmin team. Offer guidance and assistance with issues of greater complexity.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of networking essentials.
- Demonstrated experience working with web, application, and networked environments.
- Experience (3 + years) as a Windows Server systems administrator.
- Must possess high-degree of analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills.
Certification & Disciplines
An MCITP Enterprise Administrator or Windows 2003 MCSE is preferred. A current Cisco CCNA certification is a plus. 3-5 years of experience in the IT field is necessary. This should include 2-3 years in a position as a server or network systems administrator. Excellent oral and written communication skills, good organization, prioritization, thoroughness, initiative, team work, and a sense of urgency are required.
Experience with several of the following technologies:
- VMWare Hypervisor
- Microsoft Hyper-V Hypervisor
- Windows Server 2008 and 2003
- Exchange 2010, 2007, 2003
- Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES)
- SQL Server 2008 and 2005
- Symantec Backup Exec
If you are looking for an opportunity to share in this exciting, action packed environment, you might be the person we are searching for. designDATA offers a generous employment package containing everything you would expect, paid time off, medical, profit sharing, occasional telework, educational benefits, etc. If you’re interested in applying send your resume and a cover letter describing how your skills and experience match our requirements to email@example.com
Full Time: Night / Weekend Shifts, hours to be determined. Gaithersburg, MD location.